2017 Reno County Master Gardener Garden Tour
This year's tour was held on Saturday, June 10, 2017. Information on next year's tour will be posted on this site when available.
Reno County Master Gardener Program
The Extension Master Gardener Program is a volunteer program for those who:
- Enjoy learning about the various areas of horticulture
- Have time to volunteer
- Enjoy being with others who share a common interest in gardening
- Enjoy sharing their knowledge and experience to help others find answers to their horticulture questions
Volunteers are given 40+ hours of classroom and hands-on training on many horticulture topics, including:
- Basic Botany
- Soils and Plant Nutrients
- Composting and Yard Waste Recycling
- Annuals, Perennials and Ornamental Grasses
- Trees and Shrubs
- Fruit, Vegetable and Herb Gardening
- Organic Gardening
- Landscape Design and Maintenance
- Insect, Disease and Weed Identification and Management
- Plant Propagation
- Water Gardening
Opportunities for advanced training are available after completion of the basic training courses.
Classes are taught by K-State Research and Extension Horticulture Specialists, County Extension Agents, and other qualified personnel. Training sessions are held on Thursdays from 9:00am to 3:30pm. Classes begin in September and run through mid December. We usually meet in Newton, as we train with other counties. Transportation is provided between the Reno County Extension Office and the training site. If there are more applicants than available van space, we usually work out a carpooling plan.
There is a one time charge for materials for the class. Cost of the program is typically around $100 to cover the Master Gardener reference notebook and class materials.
Actual Master Gardener status is obtained after completion of the classroom training and volunteering a minimum of 40 hours to the Reno County Extension Master Gardener Program during the following growing season. There are many opportunities to volunteer, including:
- Answering phone calls on the Master Gardener Hotline
- Working with Junior Master Gardener and school groups
- Working on the Master Gardener demonstration garden
- Staffing publication tables at various events around the County
- Speaking to various groups on gardening topics
- Assisting with horticulture events at the Reno Co. and Kansas State Fairs
The next Master Gardener Training class will begin in September. Applications will be available online in August including current year's class schedule. If you would like to be on the mailing list to receive these, please email or call the Extension Office at 620-662-2371 with your name and mailing address.