Reno County Extension Master Gardeners
2018 Reno County Extension Master Gardener
Summer Garden Tour
Saturday, June 9 2018
9:00am - 2:00pm
Visit 5 beautiful yards and gardens in the Hutchinson area and the Reno County Extension Master Gardener demonstration garden. Extension Master Gardener volunteers will be on hand at each tour site to answer your gardening questions. Educational programs will be held in the morning at the demo garden.
Educational Talks in the Demonstration Garden
on the Hutchinson Community College Campus
10:30 a.m. History, Hybridization & Uses of the Modern Daylily
by Terry Pitts, Teardrop Farm Daylily Patch
10:00am to 12:00pm “Ask the Gardening Gurus”
Take a cell phone photo of your mystery or ailing plant, or bring a leaf or bug specimen in a plastic bag. Our Gardening Gurus will be on hand to answer your most puzzling questions.
11:15 a.m. Awesome New Annuals to Allure You
by Dr. Cheryl Boyer, K-State Extension Nursery Crop Specialist
Tickets can be purchased for $10 on the day of the tour at each garden or at the demonstration garden on the HCC campus.
from these Reno County locations:
Reno County Extension Office
2 W. 10th, South Hutchinson
or call 620-662-2371
Dillon Nature Center
3002 E 30th Ave
Reno County Extension Master Gardener Program
The Extension Master Gardener Program is a volunteer program for those who:
- Enjoy learning about the various areas of horticulture
- Have time to volunteer
- Enjoy being with others who share a common interest in gardening
- Enjoy sharing their knowledge and experience to help others find answers to their horticulture questions
Volunteers are given 40+ hours of classroom and hands-on training on many horticulture topics, including:
- Basic Botany
- Soils and Plant Nutrients
- Composting and Yard Waste Recycling
- Annuals, Perennials and Ornamental Grasses
- Trees and Shrubs
- Fruit, Vegetable and Herb Gardening
- Organic Gardening
- Landscape Design and Maintenance
- Insect, Disease and Weed Identification and Management
- Plant Propagation
- Water Gardening
Opportunities for advanced training are available after completion of the basic training courses.
Classes are taught by K-State Research and Extension Horticulture Specialists, County Extension Agents, and other qualified personnel. Training sessions are held on Thursdays from 9:00am to 3:30pm. Classes begin in September and run through mid December. We usually meet in Newton, as we train with other counties. Transportation is provided between the Reno County Extension Office and the training site. If there are more applicants than available van space, we usually work out a carpooling plan.
There is a one time charge for materials for the class. Cost of the program is typically around $110 to cover the Master Gardener reference notebook and class materials.
Actual Master Gardener status is obtained after completion of the classroom training and volunteering a minimum of 40 hours to the Reno County Extension Master Gardener Program during the following growing season. There are many opportunities to volunteer, including:
- Answering phone calls on the Master Gardener Hotline
- Working with Junior Master Gardener and school groups
- Working on the Master Gardener demonstration garden
- Staffing publication tables at various events around the County
- Speaking to various groups on gardening topics
- Assisting with horticulture events at the Reno Co. and Kansas State Fairs
The next Master Gardener Training class will begin in September. Applications will be available online in August including current year's class schedule. If you would like to be on the mailing list to receive these, please email or call the Extension Office at 620-662-2371 with your name and mailing address.