Health Insurance and Medicare
Resources to Assist Those With Limited Incomes:
- Prairie Star Health Center - Prairie Star Health Center receives federal grant funds to assist qualifying individuals in obtaining medical/dental care. Prairie Star is not a free clinic. Charges for services received are based on a client's ability to pay. This is determined by using Federal Poverty Level Guidelines.
- Kansas Drug Card - Free Prescription Assistance Program (PAP) for residents of Kansas and their families. This is not prescription drug insurance, but a discount program to assist those without insurance with their drug costs. [Note: This is not creditable coverage for those on Medicare.]
Senior Health Insurance Counseling for Kansas (SHICK) Partner
K-State Research and Extension partners with the Department of Aging and Disability Services to bring free, confidential, unbiased assistance to Medicare beneficiaries and their families. If you need help with Medicare issues, long-term care, or other health insurance subjects, contact our office at 620-662-2371.
Medicare beneficiaries are encourage to review their prescription drug plan annually using the free online Medicare Plan Finder. The Annual Enrollment Period is October 15 - December 7 each year. Help from SHICK Counselors is available to assist with this process.
- Medicare Overview - This document illustrates what is covered by Medicare Parts A and B, deductibles and co-insurance.
- Medicare Premiums, Deductibles, and Co-Pays - This document contains deductible and co-pay amounts for Medicare Part A and B, as well as current premiums, including premium amounts for higher-income beneficiaries.
- When to Enroll in Part B - If you are still working and have active employer health coverage, you can delay Medicare Part B until you retire and lose this coverage. There are other instances when you may not need to pick up Part B. Prescription drug coverage can also be delayed without future penalty if you currently have creditable prescription drug coverage.
- Standardized Medicare Supplement Plans - Comparison table of 10 standardized Medicare supplement plants.
- Kansas Insurance Department Medicare Supplement Shopper's Guide - Click on the Online Shopper's Guide link to obtain a cost estimate for Medicare Supplement plans in your area.
- How to Use the Medicare Plan Finder - Step-by-step instructions on using the Medicare Plan Finder at medicare.gov to select a Medicare prescription drug plan.
- 2015 Part D Plans - List of prescription drug plans for the current year (2015).
- Low Income Subsidy and Medicare Savings Program - Income and asset limits to qualify for assistance with Medicare prescription drug and other medical costs.
- Medicare Options Workbook
- Medicare Website
- Social Security Website
- Kansas Insurance Department
- What is SHICK